Tuesday, March 18, 2008

My Grandpa

I have been in ND this past week to attend my grandpa's funeral. He died on Monday, March 10th from complications of Alzheimers. The funeral was very nice, there were great verses read, a favorite poem he had written while in the war was shared and the songs sang were perfect. The family service was especially nice to sit back and remember ways he impacted all of our lives, I learned things about him I didn't know and laughed over memories we all shared. He will be missed by all!

I found some pictures I had taken in the past couple years - It is crazy how much more a picture means once you realize you will never get to take another one. I wish I had taken pics when I was home in January, the last time the kids and I saw him.

Kate and Jack (Cori's) and grandpa and Isaac with grandpa (Feb 06)

Grandpa and some of his great grandchildren (June 06)
Left to right: Abby, Grandpa, Lily and Madison
Violet, Kiaran, Ruby and Isaac

Grandpa and 6 of his 8 kids in summer of 06 - my mom and aunt Debbi are missing



My brother Jesse sang two songs at the funeral. He did a great job and we were all so happy he was able to do it. My dad was going to sing with him but was sick.
Jesse singing "In the Presence of the Lord" - I love the words of this song:
I have finally found a place to live just like I never could before. And I know I don't have much to give, but soon I'll open any door. Everybody knows the secret, everybody knows the score. I have finally found a place to live in the presence of the lord.
In the presence of the lord.


Posted by Picasa
Jesse singing "My Redeemer Lives"
I can't imagine what a funeral would be like without the knowledge that there is more after death - that our Redeemer lives and we can live with him FOREVER. What peace it brings to me to know that! This song captures so much about God and I think was such a perfect song to end the service on. I had to write out these lyrics because they are just SO GOOD!

I know that my Redeemer lives;
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, He lives, who once was dead;
He lives, my ever living Head.

He lives to silence all my fears,
He lives to wipe away my tears
He lives to calm my troubled heart,
He lives all blessings to impart.

He lives triumphant from the grave,
He lives eternally to save,
He lives my mansion to prepare;
He lives to bring me safely there.

He lives and grants me daily breath;
He lives, and I shall conquer death:
He lives, and while He lives, I’ll sing;
He lives, my Prophet, Priest, and King.

He lives, all glory to His Name!
He lives, my Jesus, still the same.
Oh, the sweet joy this sentence gives,
I know that my Redeemer lives!

I know that my Redeemer lives!





Our entire family made it to the funeral. Jesse and Cori had the farthest to go - Cori from Alabama and Jesse from Washington. Other than Nicole (Wyoming) and I the rest of the family live right there. This is the first family picture we have had for a long time!
LtoR: Cori, mom, dad, me
David, Laura, Jesse, Levi, Bekah, Nicole and Karmen

The whole clan, actually I should say a portion of the clan - there are actually 17 people missing! Wow - we really do have a big family!!

Here is my mom's family - she had 7 sisters and 1 brother
LtoR: Jackie, Candy, my mom, Glori
Sheree, Debbie, Peggy and Robbie

4 comments:

  1. I remember that pic of Jack, Great Grandpa, and me. I wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for sharing those videos and pictures....pretty special. i'm so impressed at your ability to get pictures on so quickly after being gone! i have yet to add the second portion of my chicago pics.! soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. What a great post! I loved listening to the songs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, this all looks really nice!
    makes me want to start blogging real bad!

    You don't by any chance have those videos of Jesse on photobucket or youtube, or anything do you?
    I want them(or one of them) on my myspace=] but i think in order to do that you have to get a link first, which is done thru photobucket or youtube. Hmm

    --Karmen

    ReplyDelete